address: 174/1 Charoen Krung Rd, Yan Nawa, Sathon, Bangkok 10120
5 minutes walk from (Exit 4) Saphan Taksin BTS station
9 minutes walk from Sathon Ferry Pier
The shipbuilding company was founded in 1865 by Captain John Bush, harbor master of Bangkok. Seized by Japanese forces during the Pacific War for its strategic position, the dock was taken over by the Royal Thai Navy. Located on the Chao Phraya River, the main artery that sustains and expands the growth of Bangkok, historically those who control its passage in turn dominate the region’s narrative. Later changing hands once again, it was transferred to the Ministry of Finance and became a state enterprise. Following a failed coup, major naval operations were moved to Sattahip in Chonburi province, further signaling the tenuous relations of various military branches. The dry dock is currently under joint operation by the Ministry of Defense and state authorities for commercial and defense purposes, an amalgamation of constructing and repairing anything from battleships and patrol vessels to cargo transports, hinting at the complicated and often muddled relations of forces that seek to structure the city.